Historical Places in Uganda
This is the traditional seat of the Buganda Parliament standing on the south side of Natete road. It is one of the most impressive colonial era building in Uganda. Expect to hear the history of the Kingdom, see the exotic giant tortoises dawdling around the gardens of impressive blue building.
Kabaka Mwanga’s Lake and Mengo palace
This is the biggest manmade lake in Uganda. In 1885 Ssekabaka Mwanga settled on the ultimately over-ambitious scheme of digging a lake near his capital and linking it with Lake Victoria. The lake was completed in1888 but the intended link was not attained given the break out of the religious wars which led to Moslem dissenters driving the Kabaka out of his land. The lake attracts a number of birds that can be seen at its shores.
This is an extensive prison ditch at Katereke a relic of the instability that characterized Buganda during the late 1880s. It was constructed by the late Ssekabaka Kalema who was an Islamic sympathizer. He controversially ruled Buganda in 1880 after exiling Kabaka Mwanga from his kingdom. Kalema was later to ordered a crackdown of all princes and princess whom he suspected to be his rivals. Many of them were rounded up and exiled at Katereke. These prisoners were later slaughtered without any mercy.
Namugongo Martyrs’ Shrine
Namugongo Martyrs’ Shrine is an important religious and historical site closely affiliated to Buganda kingdom. This is an impressive site where 22 Christian converts were executed on the orders of Kabaka Mwanga II in 1886. A steel domed structure carved in a traditional style stands at the scene. Artistic works depicting the scenes of this memorable Christian episode grace the interior walls of the house. In the center, preserved in glass are some remains of one of the great martyrs: Kaloli Lwanga.
These beautiful and spectacular tombs are situated on the crest of a low hill in Nabweru Sub-county, Wakiso district. The tombs are housed in an attractive traditional thatched domed structure, the burial site of Ssekabaka Muteesa I who was the 29th king of Buganda Kingdom. From the hills on which the Tombs are located, one can see Kagoma Hill a top which Ssuna built a place for his mother.
Uganda National Museum
Located out of the town center on the Kira Road. Most of the displays have been renovated and the rest are in the process of being restored. Many of the items were looted during 1970-86 and a big effort is being made to return the museum to its formal standard. Displays include a number of items from archaeological sites from around the country; a collection of musical instruments including many drums and a large and impressive canoe. Every so often the museum holds live traditional music afternoons.
This small building is Uganda’s National Art Gallery where artwork by local artists as well from other parts of East Africa displayed. Exhibitions are advertised in the local press, but there is invariably something on display. There is also a shop attached with both artworks and crafts available. It was once a private house and is set in spacious grounds. It located in Kalolo on Victoria Ave, is open from 0900 to 1700 on weekdays, and from 0900 to 1500 on weekends.
Kasubi tombs are located on Kasubi Hill. Four former Kings (Kabakas) were buried here. Done in traditional architecture, the round grass-thatched dome contains the tombs and power symbols of Kings. The dome finishing is symbolic of power as revealed by insignia such as ancient drums, bark cloth, spears, shields and knives. Also found here include huge traditional reed and bark cloth building of the Kabakas kings of the Buganda people.
These falls lie 35km east of Kampala in the Vanilla growing district of Mukono district. The spectacular waterfalls are believed to have been born by humans many hundred years ago. The falls are one of the most spiritual and cultural centres where many natives flock for blessings, wealth, and fortunes. A traditional healer performs ceremonies for those seeking love, children, a successful business deal or a good harvest.