- Visit Mount Kenya National Park, Mount Kenya
This is one of the most popular routes for those who wish to hike Mount Kenya. You will ascend through the diverse, breathtaking and sometimes bizarre vegetation zones of Mount Kenya before reaching the hiker’s summit – the magnificent Point Lenana.
Camping is not necessary on this hike unless preferred, as mountain hut accommodation is available throughout the trip. Hikers who choose this route will have a reasonably good chance of reaching the summit, although less experienced hikers who may not wish to take on the full challenge can cross over via the easier summit circuit trail, and rejoin the other hikers at Mackinder’s Camp.
Day 1: Nairobi – Old Moses Camp (3,300m)
Old Moses Hut
Lunch and Dinner
- Morning transfer from Nairobi, arriving at base camp for lunch. Drive to Sirimon Park Gate at 2,600m
- On completion of park entry formalities, begin a 3-4 hour hike through forest. Ascend 700m through the bamboo, rosewood and heather zones to Old Moses camp
- Dinner and overnight at Old Moses Camp (3300m)
Day 2: Mackinder Valley
- Spend the day trekking largely through the moorlands and through Mackinder Valley
- Take a brief stopover for lunch in between taking in the scenery and views of the main peaks
- Gain an elevation of 900m in approximately 7 hours
- Dinner and overnight at Shipton’s Hut (4,200m)
Day 3: Point Lenana
- Pre-dawn attempt of the summit starts at 3am. You will hike for approximately 3 hours, up steep slopes and rugged rocks to reach Point Lenana (4,985m) to watch the sunrise.
- Descend through the Lewis Glacier and up again to the Austrian Hut, before joining the Naromoru track and descending for 2 hours to reach Mackinder’s Camp
- Breakfast and a day of relaxation at Mackinder’s Camp
- Dinner and overnight at Mackinder’s Camp (4,300m)
Day 4: Nairobi
Bed and Breakfast
- Depart early and descend for 4-5 hours through moorlands and bog to the Met Station, before joining to long dirt road to the Naromoru Park Gate (2,600m)
- You will meet our vehicle and transfer to base camp for a hot shower and lunch, before transferring back to Nairobi